Advanced Academic Programs
Sunrise Valley is a Level IV Advanced Academic Center school, which provides full-time advanced services to students within our community as well as students in neighboring elementary schools. Students who are found eligible to receive these services through a central selection screening process receive a challenging instructional program in language arts, math, science, and social studies.
In addition to our Level IV program, Sunrise Valley provides the following Advanced Academic Services:
- Level I Services: All students in our community of learners receive instruction using 9 critical and creative thinking strategies. Students apply the use of mind mapping, questioning, encapsulation, point of view, visualization, decisions and outcomes, analogies, PMI, and fluency, flexibility, originality, and elaboration (FOFE) to their grade-level concepts.
- Level II Services: Students identified by our local Advanced Academic committee receive differentiated instruction in a content area(s) of strength. Instruction is delivered by the classroom teacher in collaboration with Sara Balcanoff the Advanced Academic Resource Teacher (AART) .
- Level III Services: Students identified by our local Advanced Academic committee work directly with the AART each week in a small group setting. During this time, students are challenged with enrichment and extension activities developed to enhance grade-level curriculum.
Level IV Screening Timeline
- Thursday, October 11th: Level IV referral forms and screening materials are due for any new to FCPS student in grades 3-6 interested in transitioning to a Level IV classroom during the second half of the 2018-2019 school year.
- Thursday, January 10th: Level IV referral forms and screening materials are due for any student in grades 2-6 interested in the Level IV program for the 19-20 school year.
Please contact Sara Balcanoff at email@example.com with any questions.