How to Report an Absence or Tardy
When your child will be absent or tardy, please notify the school office by 9:30 a.m. by doing ONE of the following:
- Email the attendance mailbox at SunriseValleyElem.email@example.com and copy your child’s teacher so that both the office and the teacher are notified.
- Submit an absence using our online attendance form.
- Leave a message on the attendance phone line at 703-715-3838.
Be specific about the reason your child is missing school. Do they have any of the following symptoms?
- Shortness of breath or breathing difficulties
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Muscle pain
- Loss of taste, smell, or appetite
- Abdominal pain
- Nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea
Our bell schedule has been adjusted for winter/spring 2021:
Doors Open to Students 9:30 a.m.
School Day Begins/1st Bell 9:35 a.m.
Final Arrival/Tardy Bell 9:45 a.m.
Dismissal Bell 4:15 p.m.
The school day starts with the first bell at 9:35 a.m. Students are considered late to class if they arrive to their classroom after the second (tardy) bell at 9:45 a.m. Tardy students must first report to the office to be checked in so they are not marked absent and to receive a tardy slip.
Examples of excused absences or tardies: student illness, student medical or dental appointment, observance of a religious holiday, death in the family.
Examples of unexcused absences or tardies: family vacation, non-school-related activity, missed bus.
Unverified and unexcused absences generate an automated eNotify from Fairfax County Public Schools. If you receive an eNotify message about your child’s attendance, please contact the school: email SunriseValleyElem.firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a message at 703-715-3838, if you have not already done so. Refer to FCPS Attendance Policies for more information.